GAMES »     RFO    LHM    ToTT    HOLV    GrB     AP     SI     RFF    RF3    RF2    RF    TOT    DSC    DS    AWL    MORE »

Go Back   Harvest Moon Otaku Forums > General Discussion > Game Discussion

Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
God is a cat girl
Yuri.not.yuri.777@fan.com

Default Mr. Yasuhiro Wada goes to a lower step

http://kotaku.com/5500717/harvest-mo...tor-steps-down

Does this mean an even worse generation of HM games, or a new and stricter Director?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
Boy_Tomo_Chan
Short Hair Ranger

it says April 1 so I can't help but think...!

Nah we all knew this was coming, the increase in quantity over quality said it all.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
Purple is chaos
Dog (Dawg)

AP was one of the few good releases excluding rune factory.

The DS games aren't great but they spit them out like crazy

I hope they produce more AP/ToT/MM like game X3

maybe it is a joke though?

Finnally! Sugar is Awesome. lol
No one liked this post.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
God is a cat girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple is chaos View Post
AP was one of the few good releases excluding rune factory.

The DS games aren't great but they spit them out like crazy

I hope they produce more AP/ToT/MM like game X3

maybe it is a joke though?
You are a joke.

They should just get a director that is hardcore for BtN/N64, then we might start getting good HM titles. Or at least games that are expanded versions of WB. (WB was done right but missed some things. I.e: Montain/Forest.)

Last edited by God is a cat girl; 03-24-2010 at 12:17 PM..
No one liked this post.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Purple is chaos
Dog (Dawg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sorrow View Post
You are a joke.

They should just get a director that is hardcore for BtN/N64, then we might start getting good HM titles. Or at least games that are expanded versions of WB-
Sorrow that was unnessecary and you know it.

And alot of us like the interaction between characters and from being on this site a while I've learned a bit about you. You like less of the storyline, you don't appreciate it, like interaction means very little to you, and you don't like to acknowledge anything you don't like as right. To you it's wrong.

But to me and many other the interaction is what we like about game and Harvest Moon delivers that in a way no other game does we control the storyline and how we are spoken to. You don't give a about that that's fine but don't attack us who do.

We have a right to our opinion and I'm not the only one who likes that.

And to be frank many games have the labor that you can get in BTN now ToT/MM/AP+ brings interaction that's differrent then in other game you really can effect so much of the game storyline and speech while most games it's either straight down the path or maybe a small change here and there or a big change but the plot stays pretty much the same.

Very few games bring this to us and even less bring it in the cheery HM way.

Don't attack me or Luna or Sugar or the other fan of ToT and co for having a differrent opinion.

I'm not a huge BTN fan but I don't bash you or Tomo when you bring it up. I don't say anything. I only play for the interaction which ToT/MM brought to a whole new lvl.

And you'd be surprised how many other people do.

I give the same respect I receive I appreciate that you guys like that type of game even if I don't I don't harrass everyone in existence just because they like it.

I'm FINE with them making more BTN game but I just want ToT/AP/MM game too

Finnally! Sugar is Awesome. lol

Last edited by Purple is chaos; 03-24-2010 at 12:21 PM..
No one liked this post.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
God is a cat girl

Problem? ------>

Quote:
like interaction means very little to you, and you don't like to acknowledge anything you don't like as right. To you it's wrong.
Wrong. *Points at RF3*
The whole interaction in HM games just suck, they are nothing more then robotic NPC's. RF3 made them much less robotic, what HM does? Follows the straight path to the waypoint. And yes, I don't believe that ToT/AP got close to that, while I wasn't even referring to those games.

There is no right or wrong, there is just good games and games with lower quality.

If you want to talk about challenge, the new games don't really offer true challenge, just the games are challenged.

Control the storyline? Besides what? StH and HoLT there is no more than 1 ending, unless you fail, which doesn't even happen in most of the new games. If you don't succeed, you don't fail either, you just get stuck in a loop. Older games had like, 3 endings, not much but felt alright. New games is just, run around like mad, facing hordes of bugs, glitches and badly done environments and mechanics. Story line? Not only incredibly childish, but without challenge. What I do today I can do tomorrow as well.
Still even good games like RF fall for that. You take 10 years? No problem, you can. How challenging is that? Huge rucksacks, GREAT! Farming management turns to be none existent though, and turns into a time managing game.

When I play games like IoH and SI, what I think is: "Damn, this isn't Harvest Moon, it can't be." Because the farming were just so useless and crappy.

And no, I don't ask for more adult games, I ask for interesting story lines that doesn't come from Mahou Shoujo manga.

And for MM that actually was the main point. The game was just horribly done. They tried to improve and ended up with a Mahou Shoujo story and a screwed up gameplay.
The game has nice concepts, but weren't done in the right way. Much like IoH and SI. They add good concepts but weren't done right. And this applies to every HM starting by AWL.

3D world was fun, but the gameplay wasn't the best because of freedom of movement. WB for example has a small helping system that turns farming for efficient and easy. RF3 uses the same concept as well. AWL for example didn't had that, which made farming much slower and frustrating.

Marvelous has great ideas, but when they are big, they aren't done well, but they can be very good at small details, which is forgotten 'cause of their big ideas. They forget the bases and the big great idea turns mediocre. Just like a kid going to school to have advanced math classes while he doesn't know math at all.

If you want to know something about me, I will tell you something.
I exaggerate in my speech, lots of times. And I'm picky with phrases like: "I hope they produce more MM like game X3".
Why? Because it wasn't an overall good game. Taking a route like that would be bad. Yet I might agree with using certain elements of that game, and maybe ToT/AP, but not the entire game for sure. Mostly because newer games take HM in not so HM road.

I agree with a deep story, but I don't want it to sever the gameplay, which happens a lot. But before a story that involves villagers so much, they should improve the interactivity and the FP system, because those are still pretty mediocre. And I don't mean interactivity as speech script, I mean it as something like RF3 AI. I want people to do things instead of just walking, I want to do activities with them, I want to marry someone that does something more than giving me food every morning, I want to see people running indoors 'cause of the rain, I want to hear people saying hello when we cross paths. I want people to be more like people, instead of dumb NPC's waiting for presents. I want people to be functional in their community, just like it's in the real world. I want the town to be functional and not boring.
Some of this things are already in RF3, others not. But HM itself lacks most of them. They add lots of things but always makes it either easy or stupid, there isn't a logical hard more yet, nor logical hard things.

Quote:
even less bring it in the cheery HM way.
HM way? Of all new games, that's WB. The good game in a HM way. HM:DS was a HM game, just badly done. Maybe if it was done in a different way, it could've been a much better game.

And it's fun how one of the games that brought huge improvements and was done in a very good way was a GBC game. And if you think that some elements in the new games are new, maybe most of them are from GBC3.

If I am to explain why I said: "They should just get a director that is hardcore for BtN/N64, then we might start getting good HM titles." It's because those games had interesting people, events and have a really good quality. They have glitches and bugs, but it doesn't sever the gameplay. Improvement in the game is decided by how you do in the game as you keep making money (which is mostly farming). You work more, you get more money, you get better things faster.

The problem of the story lines is that it's hard to make a good story without taking the focus of the farm. Because if they take the focus out of the farm, the game isn't HM anymore. Much like HM:DS felt like a mining game, in which if you didn't spent an horrible number of hours in it, in a retarded effort, you wouldn't be able to get certain things that though they aren't obligatory, they are still part of the gameplay.

Harvest Moon - Farming game with other elements.
Not - Some game with farming elements. Which is most of the DS games feel like.

Rival with a farm is nice too, if they don't screw up everything.
And I just hope that Twin Villages doesn't turn into another game with a good concept but that is badly done.

And I almost forgot, but you should've seen through the joke. Maybe the bold came late, but still, I thought that you already were in HMO for enough time to know that everything related with MM is a joke, including the game. XD

Last edited by God is a cat girl; 03-24-2010 at 04:35 PM..
No one liked this post.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
Shadownami92
Is a Guy

I think that Magical Melody wasn't too bad as long as you picked the right plot of land at first. But I really would prefer if they didn't make anymore ToT or AP type games for a while. At least not until they put together a high quality Harvest Moon game that, you know plays like a Harvest Moon game. If not then I will probably just stick to Rune Factory games as they are more like the old Harvest Moon games than ToT or AP I think.

"Seer this into your mind...meep!"
No one liked this post.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
God is a cat girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownami92 View Post
I think that Magical Melody wasn't too bad as long as you picked the right plot of land at first. But I really would prefer if they didn't make anymore ToT or AP type games for a while. At least not until they put together a high quality Harvest Moon game that, you know plays like a Harvest Moon game. If not then I will probably just stick to Rune Factory games as they are more like the old Harvest Moon games than ToT or AP I think.
The funniest thing about RF is that it's not made by Marvelous. XD
But RF is really great in the balance between farming and dungeons, since they give us ways to keep the farm going even if we aren't there, then they makes us raise crops in the dungeons to open new paths and without help of the monsters, which brings us back to the basics.
RF3 greatly expanded the skills, since the list is huge. I don't know which skills they are, but you even level up something while sleeping at home. XD
Old 03-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
Shadownami92
Is a Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sorrow View Post
The funniest thing about RF is that it's not made by Marvelous. XD
But RF is really great in the balance between farming and dungeons, since they give us ways to keep the farm going even if we aren't there, then they makes us raise crops in the dungeons to open new paths and without help of the monsters, which brings us back to the basics.
RF3 greatly expanded the skills, since the list is huge. I don't know which skills they are, but you even level up something while sleeping at home. XD
That and of course it had character artwork. I always thought the character artwork always really helped the game, not really because of graphics but rather it helps characters convey their emotions better.

"Seer this into your mind...meep!"
No one liked this post.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
God is a cat girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownami92 View Post
That and of course it had character artwork. I always thought the character artwork always really helped the game, not really because of graphics but rather it helps characters convey their emotions better.
I think that models without expression isn't good, but without portraits isn't good too.
But the art in RF games was really sweet.