GAMES »     RFO    LHM    ToTT    HOLV    GrB     AP     SI     RFF    RF3    RF2    RF    TOT    DSC    DS    AWL    MORE »

Go Back   Harvest Moon Otaku Forums > Harvest Moon Discussion > Nintendo Harvest Moon

Old 12-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
Robinstar
Farmer

Default Dreams for a Harvest Moon 64 remake and Princess Vanilla

This place seems dead, but I might as well try to catch attention from wherever I may find it.

I'm positive I'm not the only one hoping for, and mentally planning out a HM64 remake. So I'd like to share my dreams and hear yours.

First of all, whether or not there's character customization, I think the default female character should be Sara instead of Claire. I miss Sara and there's been so much Claire and at least one Claire lookalike when it comes to Rachel in ANB. Sara was the first female playable character for this series and I think she deserves this. And of course Pete for the male.

As for the marriage candidates, to keep things the way they were in 64, Jeff and Harris would be bachelors and rivals. Sorry, but the doctor wouldn't exist. And unfortunately Rick wasn't anyone's rival. However, I really love that version of Rick since he took after SNES Ann more the 64 Ann did, and I really never understood why he wasn't a rival in the first place. I don't see why he shouldn't be a bachelor, but the issue would be balancing out by adding another bachelorette. I hadn't been able to think of another girl until recently. But now I have found something simply amazing.

A few of you may know, but no one ever seems to talk about her. Princess Vanilla is an unused character from 64. If you look it up, you'll soon find that she is not just a rumor or a prank. If she and her story could be added back into a remake, and also turn her into a bachelorette, everything would be perfect in my world.
Princess Vanilla's story is confusing and not well translated, but it seems to be something like this: she was turned into a turtle, kidnapped from Prune Kingdom in Flower Country by a mole, and then was going to be forced to marry a frog. If you pick her turtle form up, you also turn into a turtle and get to walk around and have people react to you until something (possibly Karen's kiss; it's unclear) turns you back, and then you proceed to turn the princess back into a person. After this, she stays around and becomes a villager.
You can find her unused sprites, which show her having pretty purple hair. If that's not bachelorette material, I don't know what is. I really want to draw more attention to and have people talking about Princess Vanilla.

This is going to be really long and is my issues with the two universes and the lack of an easy to follow 64/Flowerbud universe:

I've seen people wanting remakes of BtN/FoMT, but we've already got so many games with that universe's version of the characters. Or just in that universe in general. We have BtN, B&G, (M)FoMT, DS, and the appearances of the Mineral Town characters in IoH and SI. Some are ports, sure, but still. Most of the portable games have ways to link back to the Mineral Town universe rather than Flowerbud, and of course AWL is happening alongside FoMT.

So far, anything connected to the 64 universe is confusing and does not involve those characters besides Gray and Elli. MM clearly took place in Flowerbud while using the SNES characters, which is great, but some characters made no sense. Some of the new guys were supposed to be what I'm going to call "grandpa versions" of the 64 rivals, right? Then... Alex really shouldn't exist because there was no doctor. While they used Carl for Jeff, it seems that the character resembling Harris was Henry, but the poor guy didn't get to be a bachelor. I'm disappointed at not seeing a grandpa version of Rick, but it actually makes a lot of sense that there wasn't one since that's Ann's role. Grandma Rick. XD Then there's them mixing Basil and Parsley into one confusing person. I don't even... Pretty darn sure it's supposed to be Parsley even though they call him Basil.
Then both ToT and AP appear to take place in the 64 universe while also being alternate universes from each other, however, AP does mention the Island from ToT, which just messes me up a bit because, just... no. But anyway, both have 64 Elli and ToT has 64 Gray.
And finally, StH and HoLV do a similar confusing thing as AP and ToT where they seem to be alternate universes to each other, though some people like to think they happened on after another, but I find that hard to believe. Not impossible though. But anyway, these games would be happening at the same time as SNES, and MM is more of a possibility than canon since it's what happens if the StH/HoLV characters leave their home. Though I'd say Basil/Pasley x Nina is canon either way since he goes off and marries some other girl in StH and breaks Lyla's heart.

By the way, I do have a more or less complete timeline for the entire series so far. It might still be able to use a bit of fixing up and I haven't posted it anywhere yet, but it exists and I put a whole lot of thought into it.
No one liked this post.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Kristaok
Horse

I have HM64, but I haven't really dived in like I'd like too.... Not having a map in game sucks, and the time moves so fast :(, I'll have to try playing it again though. I been playing HM FoMT here lately, I've played almost all of the HM games. I think the reason I'm not so good yet at HM 64 was it wasn't my first HM game, and I have video game sickness, and a lot of the games that tried to implement the new 3D aspect back then makes me feel woozy.

My first HM game was StH, then next it was AWL which is my all time favorite due to being more realistic, then boom I couldn't get enough of HM, I also went on to love and play HM SNES.

I know some of the older HMs didn't have maps either but I felt like it was easy to remember the layouts, and I had enough time to figure it all out, but with 64 by the time I try to do anything I'm forced to sleep. :/

I must say its more realistic having a doctor, but he does annoy me because I feel like Elli swoons over him way too much, and I just love Elli but I can't take that junk now that I'm older. I mean hey gurl he's not into you, get over it... here's a blue feather, chicks love blue feathers. :P
Old 01-17-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
Kristaok
Horse

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (58.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
Robinstar
Farmer

AWL was my first. Before that, I had Herdy Gerdy. A charming game for PS2. They didn't do crap to try to get the voices to match the lips, but still. I was pretty young when I got AWL and that game was mind blowingly great to me. Real chickens instead of doops and no gromps to kill them. Then as I grew, I went all crazy, playing and researching all of the Harvest Moon games I could find. And 64 also made a pretty big impact on me. And I've found it easy to adapt to changes for these games.

You know, I don't think I've ever actually paid any attention to the maps. Like, I've accidentally opened them before and it's just kinda, "Oh. Hey. A map!" And then it never gets used. I'm glad these games have been easy for me to navigate, cause I get lost so much in other games. It's pretty bad.

But yeah, time passes before you know it in 64 as well as a lot of the others from that time. I prefer how time passes in AWL and the newer 3DS games. Gives me time to think and get everything done. Some people like the fast time though.

I don't even have a particular thing for Elli or the Doctor, but it even kinda bugs me how she falls all over him. A game without him would be nice to have again. Me saying that might kill his fangirls though. I'm friends with one of those, actually.
No one liked this post.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
Kristaok
Horse

Heck I could do without the doc, I don't hate him but he's a woman thief :P back off of my Elli lol.