Controls / Menu
When you begin to play FoMT, you’ll be asked to choose between starting a new game or continuing an old one. If this is your first time, you’ll only be asked to start a new game.
If you choose to start a new game, the first thing you’ll be asked to do is choose a name for yourself. Name your character and confirm your selection by pressing “Yes.” After that, you’ll be brought to a screen where you choose your birth date. You’ll be able to choose what season it’s in and what day, so once you’ve done that select “yes.”
Now you’ll be brought to a third screen in which you name your farm. This screen is identical to the one where you name yourself, so there’s not much to explain. After confirming your farm name, you’ll be brought to the fourth and final screen where you name your dog. After doing so, you’ll be brought to a screen where you confirm your selections. Press “Yes” (1st option) to continue, or press “No” (2nd option) to start over.
- Start: Brings the start menu at the bottom of the screen up. More on this is explained further down.
- Select: Brings your farm status up. First window displays the basic status, such as your name and percentage, the second displays the Harvest Sprite’s status, the third displays your current flow of income, and the fourth displays your tool’s levels.
- A Button: Talk to people while standing next to them, pick objects on the ground up, throw objects onto the ground or into the bin, used to scroll text, and used for selecting things in menus.
- B Button: Use the currently equipped tool, put an object you’re holding in your sack, and exiting menus.
- L Button: Whistle for your dog and horse. You can also whistle at people.
- A + B: Automatically opens your rucksack. No need to go through the start menu!
- L + A: Used to rotate through your items so you don’t have to open your rucksack.
- L + B: Used to rotate through tools so you don’t have to open your rucksack. Also used to eat if you’re holding something edible.
- L + Start: Opens up the town map without having to go through the start menu.
- L + Select: Opens up the map of your farm without having to go through the start menu.
- Control Pad: Used to move your character and navigate through menus. Can also be used to scroll through text.
- Display Options
Take note that the book by your bed brings up the same menu. In bringing this up, the you can save your game at ANY time. (Whew, no more having to go to sleep to save!) The second selection is setting how your character walks: the first option (which is default) sets it to walking with the control pad and running with the R button, and the second option sets it to running with the control pad and walking with the R button. The third turns the time display on and off, the fourth turns character’s images (when you talk to them) on and off, and the fifth turns name displays on and off.
Any tools or items you want to carry around will be displayed in your rucksack. To switch tools or items around, just select the two you want to switch. (Items and tools are not interchangeable) Your tools are displayed on the left, and your items are displayed on the right. The equipped tool/item is displayed in the top left box. To switch between tools without having to go into the rucksack, see the controls.
- Town Map
Selecting the Town Map will bring you to a map of Mineral Town. If you want to find more detailed information on a certain area (or can’t find a certain area), move the little hand cursor around and press the A button to get the name and description of the selected area.
- Farm Map
Select this for a simple overview of your farm. This can be very useful at times, especially when you’re trying to find something. This map displays every crop, grass square and weed there is to find. This also displays the locations of your dog and horse.
- Farm Summary
This brings up the same menu as pressing Select does. First window displays the basic status, such as your name and percentage, the second displays the Harvest Sprite’s status, the third displays your current flow of income, and the fourth displays your tool’s levels.
- Sales Summary
This menu displays how much of everything you’ve shipped, including crops, eggs, milk and wool (of all sizes). It also displays your best scores on the Harvest Sprite’s mini games, how far you’ve dug in the mines, and your best score in the Frisbee Tossing game. It also displays how much money you’ve earned and spent every day and season.
The same tutorials the mayor offered when he first visited you are displayed here. The first tutorial explains how to grow and harvest crops, the second explains taking care of chickens, the third explains taking care of sheep, the fourth explains taking care of cows, and the last one explains the menus.